Well if that is winter sailing in Wellington, I want it to be winter all year round!
What a magnificent series we had with 92 boats sailing in the biggest and best winter series we have hosted for a long time. The weather played ball and we sailed on all six scheduled race days and only lost one race for the round the cans classes due to the wind dropping to nothing (in windy Wellington).
The racing was fierce (but friendly) with many of the overall results being decided on the final sailing day, it was magnificent to see everyone out the enjoying themselves and the camaraderie both on and off the water was great!
Thanks to the magnificent support of Barton Marine we were able to give away $6,000 (yes you read that correctly, six thousand dollars) worth of prizes at the series prize giving. Next time you are in at Barton Marine, please be sure to thank Mike, Elliott & Ginge for their support!
A huge thank you also needs to go out to the sailing committee for making the series such a success and special thanks to the following:
• Mike Appleyard & Neil Currie for running the racing from Pania;
• Roy Kirk, Sarah Williams and Rick Martin for laying to courses from Te Ak (I know it can be darn cold out there on Te Ak, so thank you!);
• Steve Holt, Steve Woolley and Ange Foster on Argo;
• Peter Van Dam and the TRIYA team on Moore Wilsons;
• Derek Baxter on the white RIB;
• The Sailability Team on Trustee;
• David Nalder, Sheena Kilmister, Kate O’Brien & Paul Davies for doing results; &
• Katie Hakes for being parking warden (and doing results)
Thank you also to Alex Paterson from Arrowhead Creative for the absolutely brilliant photos he took each race day, it is awesome to see everyone in action and having fun (even if some of the facial expressions don’t look like it’s that enjoyable).
Finally, congratulations to all those who won prizes, both race prizes and spot prizes (full results can be found on the Barton Marine Winter Series Results Page).
Let’s see if we can keep this momentum rolling into our 100th sailing season kicking off at Labour Weekend!